Monday, June 17, 2013

Fathers Day Paintings

For Fathers Day this year, we made paintings using our feet and hands. I bought 3 canvases from the craft store. They are 16x20 and $12.99 each. We bought 2. One for Daddy from our 3 year old girl, and one for Daddy from our 4 year old boy. The acrylic craft pain was on sale for $.77 each, so we bought 8, and then an inexpensive set of large brushes and a semi-nice set of smaller art brushes. 



For less than $50.00 we were able to give Daddy a gift that won't be electronically obsolete in a year, out of style in a few years, or wear out ... EVER. It's a marker of childhood with their little hands and feet set in immortality. It was fun for us to make together, the kids picked their colors, and though it was so cool when they were done. 



I did the painting in the kitchen for easy cleanup. I debated the kids bathroom, but the kitchen was MUCH easier, and looking back, I'm VERY happy with the kitchen choice. 

I did one at a time so I didn't have to keep 4 paint covered feet and 4 paint covered hands still and off walls, floors, cabinets, and each other. 

I put each kid on the island and used paper plates to squirt the paint into. I used the large flat brush to paint their feet green, then pressed them onto the canvas to make the leaves for the flower. Then I painted their hands with the 2 colors they wanted for their flowers and they spread their fingers wide and made the handprint flowers. Then I painted different colors on their feet with the green still on, and put their feet on to make the butterfly.  

Then I simply picked up the paint-covered child and sat her/him on the counter next to the kitchen sink, and washed their hands and feet in the kitchen sink. Dried them off, and sent them out to play while I finished the details. 

I used a wine cork dipped in black for the butterfly heads, and used the craft paint brushes to paint the stems on the flowers and the body's on the butterflies. The grass was brushed on one and just squirted on the other. 

Like I said before, it was a lot of fun to make. I think they turned out beautifully. Daddy LOVES them, and they'll never be out of style or become obsolete. 

No comments:

Post a Comment