Monday, June 10, 2013

Turkey Stuffed Peppers

Made stuffed bell peppers last night using ground turkey. I usually buy Jenny-O brand, but Butterball was on sale, so I bought the 3 pound "Family Size" package. Honestly, I don't like the texture of the Butterball. Not sure if it was because it was an 85/15 lean to fat ratio that was the difference, or the way that Butterball grinds their product, but something about it I didn't care for. It was almost whipped rather than ground. My Honey and both kids thought it was fantastic, so the taste wasn't an issue. 

Here's how I made it. 

3 pounds ground turkey
1 medium white onion chopped
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
4 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 can tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste
1 Cup of chopped fresh herbs. A blend from my garden of Thyme, Oregano, Flat-leaf Parsley, and Basil
2 Tablespoons Balsamic vinegar 
Sliced fresh Parmesan cheese

In a huge skillet I cooked the turkey. Then I added the onion to the meat so it would steam, soften, and flavor the meat slowly.  I added all the other ingredients at the same time and let it simmer for about an hour and a half. 



I cut the peppers in half for portion control and more surface area for yummy crispy toast bits. I sprayed the underside of the pepper halves with my olive oil spray, then loaded in the meat filling. 



I cooked them for 10 minutes in a 450 degree oven, then pulled them out, layered the fresh thinly sliced Parmesan cheese on top, then put them back in for another 10 minutes. 



The kids had the meat mixture on rolls as a sloppy joe. My Honey and I had the stuffed peppers. Everyone was VERY pleased with the outcome, and there are A LOT of leftovers. I pro only have about 2 cups of meat filling left over for more Joe's for the kids, or for a possible stuffed baked thingie using croissant dough. There are 3 pepper halves leftover too. 



Super yummy, cheap, easy, and healthy supper for the whole family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment