Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Found gem

This past summer, I bought a ton of fresh corn. Too much for us to eat. But, since I'm so cheap, and can't stand to waste food, I grilled it on the cob, cut it off, and froze it to use in a future blackbean, corn salsa.

Tonight, I came upon the frozen, grilled corn. Unused in salsa. Drat! I want corn. But this is "meant for" salsa. 

I go search the outside freezer for corn. Yuck. Only the frozen store-bought mini-ears that the kids love.

So... I trudge back inside. Forlorn ... and ready at accept defeat. 

Eff that. I want corn, I never allow myself corn, and here are 2 cups of "fresh" grilled corn. 

Into the saucepan goes butter, then the frozen/grilled corn. It pops, it sizzles, the butter melts, the corn steams, and just like an over-worked public servant, it mellows and eases into it's sauna of warm bubbly dreamyness, as it relaxes into the bath of melted butter (and a little warm water for added bliss) for an evening of joy.

Next... Enter the pork chops. Marinated in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Into the cast iron skillet goes a tablespoon of butter. It starts to melt, wanders across the pan, weaving a little, and leaving a trail of glistening love in her wake.

I swirl the pan, enjoying the symphony of the butter's sizzle. 

The pork chops go in. The sear is beautiful. She begins to brown, to golden around the edges, to create a crispy thin herb crusted layer, and becomes lovingly and tenderly kissed all over. You can't rush these things. So don't try. They will tell you when they're ready. Don't poke. Don't scrape. Sure as he'll don't stab. Just let them COOK.

In a bit, try to give them a little turn with your tongs. If they release with complete ease, flip. Marvel at the color you achieved on that sear. My LORD, that's gorgeous. Your friends will be amazed. Post that bad boy on Facebook! You earned it.

If you're cooking a wicked thick cut, it's ok to now put the lid on. You're trapping heat at this point. If you did it earlier, you'd be steaming, and steamed meat sucks.

Cook to the level of doneness you want. I can't tell you this. You have to play with your food to figure out what you like. 

Like ones choice of partner, I couldn't begin to tell you who to choose, and I can't tell you how to cook your food. Eat what you love. Cook what you want to eat. Don't listen to anyone. It's your mouth. Yours.

Stay hungry, and play with your food!

No comments:

Post a Comment