Tuesday, April 22, 2014

2014 Spring Garden

This years garden is almost complete, and it's much bigger than last year. Bigger meaning more variety and more plants. Plus, I went with some fancy things. Here's this years layout...

In one box we have:

Lemon Boy Tomatoes.                        Mr. Stripy Tomatoes.                       Sun Gold Cherry Tomatoes.
(Big yellow).                                         (Striped Heirloom).                          (Yellow Cherry Tomatoes)

Beets.                                                 Carrots.                                           Husky Cherry Red
From seeds.                                        From seeds.                                    (Red Cherry Tomatoes)

Scallions.                                            Radish.                                            Scallion
(Same plant from last year!                  From seeds.                                    (Same plants from last year)


In the next box, we have:

Cucumbers.                                        Lavender.                                           Green Beans
                                              
Pablano Peppers.                                Purple Bell Peppers.                           JalapeƱos 

Chives.                                                Marigold.                                             Marigold
(Same plant I've had for 8 years).         (In companion planting, marigolds keep away a lot of bugs)


In the 3rd box, we have:

Zucchini.                                              Marigold.                                       Butternut Squash
                                                                                                                 (From seed)

Butter Crunch Lettuce.                         Marigold.                                      Green Salad Bowl Lettuce
(From seed).                                                                                              (From seed)

Spinach.                                               Ruby Lettuce.                               Black Seed Simpson Lettuce
(From seed).                                         (From seed).                                  (From seed)


All of the seeds I put directly into the garden from the packet. I did not start any indoors, and this is a first for me. Pretty much everything listed is either a new variety for us this year, a new technique, and/or a new plant entirely.

I also bought strawberries this year. They are in a pot on the deck with the herbs. The only herbs left in the garden are the chives and the lavender. As soon as the cukes and beans are done producing, I'm bringing in the lavender. It might winter alright, but I'll bring her in this year regardless. I'll do that with my rosemary too, if I don't manage to kill it this year.

All of the seeds were purchased, none were harvested from grocery store produce.

I want to get sweet potatoes growing up front. I bought a blueberry bush this year, not knowing that they needed a companion to propagate, so I'll have to return to Lowes for a second one. And I also bought a grape vine this year. I think I'd like to plant it next to the garage and let it grow up, then over a small pergola type awning that I'll talk Mr Saucy into building for me.

Another exciting addition is a wisteria plant for the deck and pergola. My Lord, I love those flowers, and I'm really hoping it grows and covers the pergola with a multitude of cascading purple flowers. I don't think it will grow that fast this year, so I bough 3 climbing vines that I want to plant in pots at the 4 corners of the pergola. I bought seeds for Moon Flower, Morning Glory, and Cardinal Climber, which is new to me. I think the 3 will grow happily together in big enough pots, but we'll see.

I also went all over the place with my super weed and grass killer. Squirted the pair miter of the house, the fence line, and the whole shade side of the fenced area so we can start over with that patch. 

Mulch was also purchased, and I'll put that around after the weed killer has done some work. I may need to give some weeds in the flower beds another squirt, so I'm waiting to lay the mulch until I know I've zapped them all.

The good ole "Weed & Feed" needs to go down too. I'd like to get on out and get that done today, but need to check all the weather forecasts to see if it's a good time. Also need to get the bug spray down too. Get the grubs out of the soil to get the moles out. Plus, the bug spray gets tics and fleas, and with 2 huge dogs, a roaming Pigmy Puma, 2 kids, and a Mommy who all like being in the yard and garden, any reduction of biting critters is a bonus.

Stay hungry, get dirty, grow as much of your own foods as you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment