Friday, December 20, 2013

Pistachio Thumbprints

Hands down... No lie...

THE. BEST. COOKIE. EVER. 

Oven to 350

3/4 C butter
2 eggs, separated. (Mix the yolk into the batter, use the whites to roll the cookie in, pre-baking, so the pistachios stick)
1 C sugar
2 1/4 C flour
(I used red mill gluten free all purpose blend)
Tiny pinch of salt (my recipe just says "salt", there's no amount listed)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
About a cup or so chopped pistachios. (My recipe doesn't list how many you'll need. I remember chopping them with my step-mom in the old food processor, but I don't remember how much we used. Do it in small batches, and don't whir it too long, or you'll get pistachio butter instead of chopped nuts. You might be able to find them shelled and chopped. I bought the 8oz bag with the shells still on, and the kids and I shelled them. This was NOT enough to coat all the cookies, so I recommend at least a bag and a half if you have the kind with the shells on. Should have measured the amount I ended up with after shelling, but I didn't.)
A jar of apricot preserves. (Leave it on the counter, don't refrigerate. And before spooning into cookies at the end, stir the day lights out of it so it's more like a sauce. This makes it much erasure to spoon on to the cookie.

Mix the butter, sugar and yolks until creamy and smooth.
Sift together the flour, BP, and salt.
Slowly add the dry into the creamed butter/sugar/yolk mixture
(I'm use to the people on Food Network chilling cookie dough at this point, but what I have written down doesn't say to do this)
Form cookie balls
(My balls wouldn't "roll", because the dough was crumbly. I just kinda smushed them into a roundish shape. They get a divit put in the middle pre-baking to hold the preserves anyway, so the shape is not a make-or-break at this point.)
Roll cookie balls in the egg whites, then into the chopped pistachios. (I didn't roll as much as smush. I wanted to be sure each cookie had a nice solid pistachio coating.)
Place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet, and press your thumb into the cookie ball to make the indent for the preserves.

Bake 350 for 8 minutes. You'll probably need to repress thumb, just because they may pouf a bit during cooking.  Now... This is what the hand-me-down recipe said, and I may have made mine too big, it may have been an issue with my oven temp, and it may have been that I was a dumby and used waxed paper instead of parchment, but I needed an extra 5 minutes cook time


This is them after the first 8 minutes. I wanted to believe my hand written notes from 25 years ago, but I put them back in for another 5 minutes, as I noted above.

Let them cool, then put a dollop of the apricot preserves right in the center.



Make at lease 2 batches if you plan on sharing with neighbors, teachers, or family. They are RICH! And insanely yummy.

Ok, a note about the batter... When I made these a minute ago to test my recipe, I didn't follow my own instructions, and if forgot to add the sugar to the egg yolk and butter mixture. I wasn't paying attention, and had it in my head to sift dry ingredients, so I did just that...including the sugar. Dingus.

So I proceeded to try to incorporate ALL the dry ingredients into the not room-temp-yet butter and egg yolks. It looked like a pure-T mess.

Still not willing to give up, I dumped the whole thing out into the countertop to see if I could kneed it into submission. I did. 


This is what it looked like. I could not pick it up, as it would crumble. So, I used my scooper and scooped up a little at a time and made my "balls" that were very much not round.

Stay hungry, and remember to play with your food. EVEN when baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment