Friday, May 17, 2013

A Week of Breakfast for $1.17

Yesterday afternoon I came home with the groceries and started making quick, healthy, freezable breakfasts for me for the week to come. A low fat sausage, egg white, reduced fat cheese, breakfast burrito bowl of sorts. I started with the sausage, which I broke up and browned, like I was browning ground beef for a meat sauce. When it was cooked, I placed it in a bowl to cool slightly as I cooked the egg whites.

Then I cooked an entire large container of store-brand egg-whites in the carton. I added salt and pepper, and cooked them in the same pan I had used to brown the sausage.  Once they were cooked, I used my 1/2 cup scoop and placed 2 scoops (yes, one whole cup of cooked egg whites) into a plastic container with a lid. I had 3 cooked cups, as it turned out, so I initially made 3 portions. I then had 3 containers with cooked egg whites, so I evenly dished out the sausage on each portion of eggs.

I diced an onion and started to slowly saute this with a little vegetable oil and salt. I went to the fridge to get the bell pepper, and then thought ... no ... I don't want pepper and onion in it. I think I just want egg white, sausage, and cheese. So I got the shredded reduced fat cheese, and sprinkled a little on top. I put the lids on the containers and let them sit out a little while on the counter so I didn't put hot food into the fridge.

My onions are still caramelizing on the stove, I'm not unaware of that. But, supper needs to be planned too, so I turn off the onions and leave them in the warm pan to continue to use it's residual heat to work to my advantage. 

This morning, I put one of my breakfast bowls in the microwave and pressed the handy-dandy "reheat" button. In 3.25 minutes, I had a hot yummy breakfast that was ... HUGE!  This recipe should have made 6, not 3 portions. I'm STILL STUFFED!  Of course I ate the whole thing, but I am now going to split the remaining 2 containers into 4 total.

The cost of this adventure?  The reduced fat sausage was $2.99. The generic carton of egg whites was $3.79. If you add a little in for tax, that makes the two roughly $7.00. Since I should have turned it into 6 servings, that means I have created a way to have breakfast all week for $1.17 per day. Now, since I actually made only 5 servings, because I ate the equivalent of 2 this morning, "my" cost for this is $1.40 each day.

Next up ... about that onion...

No comments:

Post a Comment