Friday, May 17, 2013

The Saucy Dish Garden

Here it is. The report on the garden.


The garden was constructed from pallets, as you may remember from an earlier article. We filled them with a topsoil mixture purchased from the local garden center that is a mixture of compost and local dirt. A friend of ours warned us about using only topsoil, as in her case, it became too compacted and didn't allow the roots to really grow well, and the end result for them was a diminished crop. I asked about this at the store, and was told that the top soil they "make" has compost in it, so should be fine. If I want to add more compost to it, I can, but he doesn't feel it's needed.

So I started planting.

This is an experiment from a Pinterest Pin. I saw that you can grow celery from the root-end of the stalks just by placing it in a glass of water on the window sill. I did just that, and low and behold, it worked! So after I saw new roots growing, I put my new little celery plant in the dirt outside. I'll let you all know how it goes.


Next, I planed a chive plant and a thyme plant that I've had in small plastic containers for about 8 years. I left them outside the first year, thought they were dead, but ignored the pots for the first few weeks of spring. When I checked on them, there was new growth!  I've had them outside ever since, and have loved fresh chives and fresh thyme from these exact same plants year after year. Now they are in the garden, and they are very very happy.



Like the celery, I had scallions that I didn't use up in time. They were looking a little rough, droopy, and down right dead, to be honest. But, I had my celery growing in a glass on the windowsill, and thought I'd see if I could revive the scallions too.  And I did. They grew beautiful roots, they shed their dead shoots, and started to sprout new bright green stems for me. So, again, like the celery, once I saw hefty root growth, I put them in the dirt too.  


Here is a shot of the celery a few days after putting it in the dirt.


Another tip from Pinterest said that you can plant a garlic bulb that's sprouted. So I did. I'll keep you posted on it's progress...


A pretty sunshine shot of the scallions.


Then I bought 3 pepper plants. One is a jalapeno, and I honestly can't remember the other 2. I have at least one sweet pepper, one that's big enough to stuff, and the jalapeno.  You can see them here with the celery.


In with the chives and thyme, I planed 3 types of tomatoes. A purple heirloom, a Big Boy, and a cherry. I also bought basil, rosemary, oregano, and flat leaf parsley. The basil I put in with the tomatoes because "what goes together, grows together".


The parsley, rosemary, and oregano are in the far box with the scallions. I had intended to plant cucumbers as well, and low and behold, my son came home from preschool with 2 sprouted cucumber plants from a science experiment at school. I put them in the dirt, found an old metal grate to use as a trellis, and placed it against the edge of the deck for them to climb. They are not thriving. I think I'll have to go to the garden store and buy established plants to "replace" Boo's seedlings.

So here we are. Here is the garden as it stood a few weeks ago. I'll get updated pictures later today and add them to another blog tomorrow. I honestly don't think I'm watering it enough. We had a week of rain last week, and all my babies looked VERY happy about that. I have also used a vegetable plant food, but I am not using any sort of pesticides. I'm gardening with natural things, like egg shells to deter slugs, the basil will keep the worms off the tomatoes, etc. I'm hoping that all of my companions will protect and benefit from each other.

It's been so much fun. Every single day I go outside in the morning with my coffee, and look at everyone. Yeah, I talk to them too. I pick little sprouting weedlets from the dirt, I inspect the tomatoes for fresh blooms and I pluck the "suckers" to keep the main shoots strong and healthy. I made a salad dressing last night with the parsley, thyme, and rosemary, and it was SO GOOD!  I'll be sure to put that recipe up soon, too.

Stay tuned for the progress of The Saucy Dish Garden...

No comments:

Post a Comment