Monday, December 1, 2014

Running From The Truth

Y'all, I done gone and lost my mind.

I have signed up to run not one, but two races this coming year. The first is a half marathon in March. That's only four months from now! I need to be able to travel by foot 13.1 miles in just four months. I don't for a second think I'm going to be able to RUN this race, but I do at least need to be able to walk that distance by then. A few hop skipping running type jog steps along the way would be nice, but I'm honestly just hoping to be able to travel that far using my own muscles and feet.

The dogs and I just got back from a little practice walk. My toes have fallen asleep, indicating it's time for new shoes, and the dogs are DONE. I didn't think Homer was going to make it. Honestly! I kept thinking I was going to have to call Mr. Saucy to come home from work to pick us up and drive us back home. No, I wouldn't have left my baby boy on the side of the road and gone home without him. Yes I would have asked My Honey to drive 15 miles back home to drive my angel Laprador home.

Looks like we went about two miles this morning. I think Homer would have been happy with just one mile. Poor thing. He's old, BIG, and I think his joints are beginning to hurt him. The fuzzy girl had a blast though! She started foaming at the mouth with all the other doggie smells out in the world, which led to all the neighbors casually walking to the other side of the road to continue their walk on the other sidewalk. I don't know why a huge, wolf-like, part shepherd who's foaming at the mouth would instill trepidation in others, but I guess something about the presence of the three of us together made my fellow morning walkers feel better on the other side of the street.

The first of the two runs that I've signed up for is sponsored by St. Jude Children's Hospital. Links to both races will be included at the bottom of the post if you would like to join the teams to run/walk or if you would prefer to donate to the cause.

The second of the two runs is the Mudderella, which is a 6 mile obstacle course designed by women and it raises money for the nonprofit Futures Without Violence, which is dedicated to ending domestic violence. It's a noncompetitive course, so working together with your team to both encourage and help with obstacles is the name of the game here.

Both of these causes are very near and dear to my heart. The idea of kids being sick is terrifying. I've lost too many loved ones to cancer, one of which was a friends child. It's just unthinkable that children would have to endure such a nasty nasty thing as cancer. Mr. Saucy's step-brother has a daughter who, before she entered Kindergarten, had battled cancer and beat it. I believe we'll find a way to destroy this beast before my time on earth is over, and we can only do that as long as facilities are funded for research, studies, and experimental medicines. 

Domestic violence in every aspect is just as terrifying as any disease. To be afraid of your loved one, whether it be a partner, parent, or other family member is equally horrifying. Even though I was young when the transaction took place, my childhood home was sold to an organization who turned it into a shelter for battered women and children. Knowing that the home where I have such fond and safe memories is now sheltering others who truly need that love and protection makes me proud.

So, that being said, here are the promised links for the two events that I have somehow allowed myself to sign up for.

Lord help me...




No comments:

Post a Comment