Monday, September 2, 2013

Square One... It's like I never left you.

Those of you that follow along regularly know that I have been battling my weight for a long time. I started a "Game On" challenge with friends via Facebook, and found a wonderful circle of people who help motivate me, encourage me, and support me. That being said, they can't physically be with me 24/7 to both monitor and control what I eat and do. I exercised 180 minutes last week, I counted every calorie, and every carbohydrate. I was below calories and carbs for the first half of the week, and lost 4 pounds like THAT (snap of fingers of emphasis). Then I had enough calories left over after a long workout and not eating very high caloric foods during the day to eat gluten free pizza for supper. It was dreamy. Warm, crunchy, salty, tangy, cheesy. Oh, man, was it just awesome. 

But... The next day, I was in agony. Must have gotten cross contaminated, because I was dreaming of trying to find a restroom, then woke up before 6:00am with terrible tummy troubles.  I spend 90% of the next day (Saturday) in bed. But I got up to eat. I mean, I am ad addict. I needed that food fix, needed to see if eating would make me feel better. Nope. Not even a little bit. 

But, around 4:00pm, I was sick and tired of feeling sick and tired, so I joined the family and planned a "comfort meal" of mild chicken and rice and peas for supper. Made it, it was fabulous, ate it, and enjoyed some time with the family. The kids eagerly and sweetly exclaimed that this was the best meal ever, lifting my spirits higher and higher. 

Then I noticed the next morning that 2 of my lost 4 pounds had found its way back home. I hadn't lost them, but merely misplaced them. 

Sunday was my official "cheat day" and we had a full day of relaxing and fun planned. A day-trip to a winery with friends, and a baseball game that night. Cheese and crackers with the wine, then gluten free hotdogs and gluten free beer at the game. It really was a great day!

Monday morning, today, this morning, I got on the scale to see what was going on, and the other 2 lost pounds had rejoined their comrades on my thighs. It's a good thing too, because one side was horribly lopsided with those 2 extra pounds. I was way off balance, walking almost in circles, it was a little embarrassing. It's a blessing really that the other 2 came back.

The blessing is this. I know that I can not eat carbohydrates that do not come from leafy green vegetables. The ONLY carbohydrate that my body can process and not immediately store as fat is leafy greens.  

So here we are, back to a Monday morning start of a week. I'm thinking no cheats, other than perhaps a gigantic steak. But as far as cheats... I'm only cheating myself. I'm not sneaking something by the diet police, looking over my shoulder and laughing at the fact that I got away with it. "Ha Ha! You SUCKER!  I just ate a plate of brown rice, and you didn't catch me! Fools!"  Yeah... Um... They did catch me. Well, the scale caught me, and I'm feeling like the fool. 

Time to wake up Chica. You know what to do, and it's way past time to stop being so hard headed about all this. There is no magic bullet, no easy way out, no miracle "plan" that will fix all of this. You ate your way here, you can eat your way out. Just do it and shut up, already.

Game on, y'all.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's very likely the 'found pounds' could be from your cheat day/meal being high in sodium. It's almost physically impossible to gain four pounds of 'real' weight in two days. To do so, you would have to overeat by 14,000 calories. That's 14,000 *in addition* to the calories you eat to maintain your current weight. From the description of your splurge, I really doubt you could have done that much damage with those foods. Put the gain behind you, eat well this week and things will take care of themselves. You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Christine...you can DO THIS. We all have steps forward and steps backward and, well, honestly, I can gain a pound just be drinking water and not going to the bathroom! I'm so excited for this and for all of us Game On'ers...so, to you, I say, GAME ON!!! :)

    ReplyDelete