Thursday, December 18, 2014

Holiday Meal Planning

I must admit ... one of my favorite things about any holiday or gathering is the food. Planning it, cooking it, watching the faces of my family and friends as they enjoy seeing it, smelling it, and eating it.

I start to think about the food weeks before the holiday or event. Sometimes, I'm even thinking about it a few months ahead of time. Some people get grumpy right before Thanksgiving because retail stores put out Christmas decorations and some people feel this disrespects Thanksgiving, but I don't feel this way at all. I begin to think about Thanksgiving in October. As soon as the fall decorations hit the stores, I'm thinking about stuffing, turkey, and cranberries.

So it should come as no surprise that right after Thanksgiving, I start to think of Christmas dinner. And on that same note, I start to peruse Pinterest for breakfast casserole ideas for Christmas morning.

This year, I'm going to make my sweet potato, sausage, and egg hash in the crock-pot. If it turns out like I hope, I'll post the recipe.

For Christmas dinner, I'm planning on a mustard, garlic, herb roasted prime rib, baked mashed potato rosettes, mushroom gravy, and oven roasted acorn squash with brown sugar and pecans for dessert. None of us are big dessert eaters, so the squash with brown sugar and nuts will be a perfect sweet ending to the meal.

I'm still searching for a green veggie. We had green beans for Thanksgiving, and broccoli and green peas are standard family favorites for us, but I'm trying to think of another green veg that will be a little fancy, but still agreeable to the masses. Brussel sprouts are out. Asparagus is out. Artichokes are out. Creamed spinach is out. I think perhaps fresh spinach wilted in a simple mixture of butter, olive oil, and garlic would be lovely. Yes. That sounds perfect.

So ... what are you making for Christmas Dinner? Are you a turkey family? Or do you prefer a ham since you just finished the leftovers of turkey from Thanksgiving? We do a nice hunk of beef for Christmas. 

Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday that you celebrate too!

No comments:

Post a Comment