Saturday, October 26, 2013

Sewing Knees



I needed to break out the needle and thread the other night to patch a favorite stuffed animal. Emergency medical sewturing was needed, so as a little girl with huge blue eyes looked on, I carefully sewed up a lambs front paw.

This sudenly sparked the sewing bug, so I got out a project I've been meaning to tackle for a long time. Our son is rough in his jeans. The knees are almost always blown out before he grows out of them, but I keep him in them as long as I can. I'm cheap. I don't want to throw away a perfectly good pair of jeans that just need a bit of mending. Plus, I can just patch the knees and then his little sister can wear them.

Remember the cheap part? I also keep just about every random article of fabric for "projects". I'm SURE I'm going to make a T-Shirt quilt for my husband from all his 2,000 antique T-Shirts. I also want to make blankets for the kids out of their old baby blankets and uber cute baby clothes that were "special". This being said, I still have crib sheets too because they are nice large pieces of fabric for these "projects" I have in mind.

So I have blue jeans with holes in the knees and pink Minnie Mouse fabric from a crib sheet. Viola! Knee patches. I found the spot in the elastic where it was sewn together, made a small snip in the hem to get to it, then pulled it free in one long piece. (Kept, of course, for another project.) I then cut 2 squares from the sheet and folded them into 4 pieces for durability, and sewed them to the inside of the holy knee. I used purple thread, and left it looking hand done. I didn't futz over making it look professional or exact. And I think they are PERFECT! Here are pictures from the 2 pair I've finished.







No comments:

Post a Comment