Saturday, June 15, 2013

Check Please.

I'm a check-list girl. I'm also a procrastinator, and I don't like being told what to do. But for some reason, if I make my checklist, I'm much better about getting it done. 

This started at my first real big-girl job, where I was running the financials and HR and all other office work for a restaurant. My boss wanted me to use a check list because there were about a thousand little tasks that all needed to be done and with my ADD, it was hard for me to keep on task. Even while taking my Ritalin, there were still times it was hard for me. When he suggested I use the check list I was annoyed. I've got SO MUCH to do, I don't have TIME to stop, highlight what I've done, and then go do another project. After several weeks of head-butting and stubbornness, he won. And I learned that the checklists took a lot of the *fog* out of my day. A large part of my panicky stress about my day and week was lifted with this simple checklist. It honestly acted like a map for me. 

Now that I'm running the business of a family, I find that I once again need a checklist. I think this will help me stay focused, not get overwhelmed, and not let things pile up. 

And, oh, how I do LOVE organizing things. So the thought of sitting down for a few hours and planning the activities and actions of the members of this organization is as relaxing to me as a day at the spa. Maybe more so, because a day at the spa would make me feel guilty and I'd start to dread the pile of work awaiting me when I got home. 

So today I shall create an organizational schedule. I'll write a mission statement, a financial plan, and delegate tasks according to skill level, ability, and degree of potty training and napping needs. 

No lie, I'm super excited!!

No comments:

Post a Comment